Genioplasty can improve the shape of an unsightly chin by restoring the front and side facial balance.
The various chin surgery techniques effectively correct cosmetic defects, such as protruding chins or receding chins.
The request concerns correcting two types of imperfections: the protruding chin or jutting chin, which is too advanced, and the receding chin which, conversely, is too withdrawn.
Cosmetically, there is a profile of an ideal vertical line from the forehead which passes through the nose to the horizontal base of the chin. If the chin goes beyond this line, it is protruding. If the chin is located behind this line, it is receding.
In case of excess fat, a bit of liposuction is used before beginning the genioplasty procedure.
There is complementarity between the chin and the nose. This is why rhinoplasty is often performed at the same time as chin surgery to give a matching set. The combined operation is called profiloplasty.
If chin positions anomalies result in lesions of the lower gums with teeth that might come loose, or problems with dental articulation, such as discomfort when closing the mouth, the patient will be sent to see a smile specialist, who will treat the whole lower face with maxillofacial surgery techniques.
How the procedure works
Depending on the surgical technique used, the chin operation is carried out under local or general anaesthetic, as an outpatient or with one night of hospitalisation and lasts between half an hour and one hour thirty minutes.
The incision is hidden in the mouth on the lower gums or it is made very discreetly under the chin.
Moving back a protruding chin
Two techniques are possible :
- Reducing the bone of the jaw: The surgeon files down the lower edge of the mandible in order to decrease the projection of the chin.
- Osteotomy of the drop in the chin: The surgeon cuts the excess bone and then reattaches the front part of the chin by using metal plates and screws.
Advancing a receding chin
Three techniques are possible :
- Installing a chin implant : The implants are made from either silicone or Medpor (POREX). These two types of implants give good results. The choice depends on the cosmetic defect to be corrected, the patient's wishes and the surgeon's habits. Chin implants also come in various sizes: central prostheses, prostheses with small lateral wings, etc. The surgeon then inserts the chin implant in a customised space in the lower jawbone. The implant is hidden by the thickness of the fat and the chin muscles.
- Osteotomy of the advancement of the chin: The surgeon cuts the chin bone horizontally in order to create a bone fragment which is then advanced and fixed in the desired position using metal plates and screws.
- A bone graft : The surgeon removes the graft he needs from the bump of the nose when he performs a profiloplasty, or else from the cranium, the pelvis, etc., in order to reshape the chin.
After the procedure
Genioplasty is a painless procedure. The patient can move the jaw safely. They wear a modeling bandage under the chin for five to eight days. There are bruises for seven to fifteen days and oedema for ten to twenty days. It is advisable to eat semi-liquid or soft and food, which will preferably be cold for the first two days. The patient can return to work after eight days.
The result is visible immediately and takes its final appearance after three months when the oedema subsides.
|Intervention||Anaesthetic||Stay||Prices including VAT*|
|Chin surgery||General||Outpatient/1 night||€3,000 to €6,000|
|Other fees||Prices including VAT*|
|Consultation with the surgeon||€50|
|Consultation with the anaesthetist||€100|
* 20% VAT